Mahatma Gandhi was a freedom fighter who played a key role in Indian independence struggle against British rule. He is one of the most influential and inspiring political-social leaders of all times. Let’s briefly examine his birth chart here:
Birth Data: October 2, 1869, Porbandar, Gujarat, India, 08:36 AM
- Atmakaraka Moon is in the Pisces Navmasa. This grants final emancipation according to Parasara and Jaimini. Native does meritorious deeds and gets liberated from the cycles of birth and death. Gandhi was a Jnani-a self-realized sage. Prasanga Parijaat-the hagiography of sage Ramananda mentions that Gandhi was supposed to be a reincarnation of Kabir who was a reincarnation of Prahlada. In Vaishnavism Prahlada is considered one of the greatest devotees of God. Both Kabir and Gandhi played a great role in the upliftment of society. I don’t believe in reincarnation but considered it worth a mention here.
- The Atmakaraka Moon along with Cancer as its sign suggests a soothing presence. This Moon placed in the 10th house makes him exceedingly popular and inspiring but Rahu’s association creates some problems which were mostly mental.
- Moon is conjuncted with its north node (Rahu) in the tenth house. This gives him a unique mission in life and though it makes him depressive, experimental and taboo-breaking, since Moon is in its own sign and conjunction isn’t a close one he comes out victorious through ordeals.
- Sun is the life-force and soul of an individual. Its placement in the 12th house deprives one from many things but makes one selfless. Gandhi was a powerful leader but never took a post in government. This placement made him popular outside country as well and made him spiritual.
- Venus in its own house in lagna made Malavya Yoga which is a combination for wealth and greatness.
- Mars being the lord of the 2nd house is associated with benefics Venus and Mercury which makes Sumukha Yoga. This gave him a happy and attractive face.
- Lagna has a papa-kartari yoga as Sun and Saturn are on both sides. This suggests that he had criminal tendencies which is apt because he was indeed a criminal against British empire.
- Jupiter, Venus, Mercury and Mars strengthen the ascendant and thus make him a charismatic personality.
- Sun’s aspect on the sixth house made him respected by his enemies.
- Also worthy of observation is–Saturn, Venus and Jupiter in their own navamsa. Moon in Pisces and Ketu in Thula. Thus most planets are in benefic navamsa making him pure hearted and spiritual. Twelfth lord is in 12th, 5th lord in 5th and the eighth lord Sun is in the sixth. Thus lords of these three houses responsible for spirituality are very well placed in navamasa while the lagna lord Saturn is in lagna itself.