Atmakaraka is the planet with the highest degrees in any sign. It represents ripeness of a soul. Enlightened sages have distinctive features pertaining to Atmakaraka which might not be always visible prima facie. This article is partially speculative therefore.
The following categorization is based on my assumptions.
- Sun as Atmakaraka suggests brilliance and light. Sages who have Sun as Atmakaraka might have great realization but personality which is philosophical asserts itself so much that they might come across as peevish, impatient and rude to some people. Examples: Jiddu Krishnamurti, U. G. Krishnamurti and Swami Vivekananda. Though they might have charisma such people might not be really great gurus because they lack the connection needed to transform other people.
- Moon as Atmakaraka suggests Peace and Service. Sages with Moon as Atmakaraka are mother-like. They have a soothing presence and they serve people unconditionally with patience. They are tolerant and forgiving. Because of these qualities they are very popular. Their presence is soothing though they might not profess to be gurus as such. Examples: Ramana Maharshi, Shirdi Sai Baba and Mahatma Gandhi.
- Jupiter as Atmakaraka suggests bliss. Sages with such placement are born to be spiritual gurus. The degree of realization might be strong or weak depending upon the personality which overshadows. If personality is strong realization might be weak and vice versa. Such gurus have blissful presence and they have a knack to transform people. Examples: Osho, Sri Sri Ravishankar, Rabindranath Tagore and Sathya Sai Baba.
- Mars as Atmakaraka suggests Shakti or Energy. While Sun-Moon-Jup might be taken to represent Sat-Chit-Anand aspects of truth, Mars represents the active mode. These sages do rigorous Sadhana before transmitting their energy. That is why such Atmakaraka placements don’t suggest a great presence as in case of previous atmakaraka but rather ability of guru to give transmission of energy which is conducive to awakening. Example: Gurdjieff, Ramakrishna and Meher Baba.
- Mercury as Atmakaraka suggests Chit aspect of Bramh. Sages with this placement are great intellectuals and persuade intellectuals. Example: Aurobindo and Deepak Chopra.
- Saturn as Atmakaraka suggests sages who work for common masses and are social reformers. They might be realized or on verge self-realization. Their presence might not be very powerful but the work done transforms society and uplifts the downtrodden masses. They undertake great penance. Example: Shri Ram Sharma.
- Venus as Atmakaraka suggests sages who might worship mother goddess Shiva or other feminine deities and might be very affectionate towards fellow people. These sages live moderate lives. Example: Paramahansa Yogananda
In the scheme above Rahu hasn’t been taken as Atmakaraka which certain astrologers do.