What Are Gandanta Moola Signs?
Gandanta are conjunction constellations–they’re also known as Gandanta Moola nakshatras. You know there are 12 zodiac signs and there are 6 Gandanta Moola nakshatras. Mula literally means the root. The constellations are subtler than signs–so Gandanta Moola constellations are those portions of signs which fall at the conjunction point or say transition point between two signs. For example–there are two constellations between Scorpio and Sagittarius–Jyestha and Moola.
The easy way to remember where Gandanta signs is to realize that Gandanta Moola signs are just before fiery signs begin. Alternatively, Gandanta Moola constellations are immediately after water signs– I mean it’s not like what we feel it should be–that’s every Gandanta Moola sign should be between every two signs–no. It would be more accurate to state that Gandanta Moola constellations fall at the junctions of watery and fiery signs. So there are two Gandanta constellations each at all 3 watery-fiery sign conjunctions. Why is it so that only transition from water to fiery signs is considered a very sensitive zodiacal zone isn’t yet clear to me– but there are so many mysteries in the Vedic system.
Why at Water-Fire transition?
Because water-fire transition is most sensitive transition. Earth signs are closer to water signs in characteristics and fiery signs are closer to airy signs but water and fire are just opposites. Water suppresses fire. Water is sensitive and emotional whereas fire is independent and inspiring.
Here are the names and a few details Gandanta Moola Nakshatra:
1. Revati and Ashwini: Revati is final nakshatra and comes in the sign Pisces (16:40 to 30:00 ) and Ashwini falls in Aries ( 00:00 to 13:19 ). Revati is ruled by Mercury and Ashwini is ruled by Ketu.
2. Ashlesha and Magha: Ashlesha is in the sign Cancer ( 16:40 to 30:00 ) and Magha is in Leo (00:00 to 13:19). Ashlesha is ruled by Mercury whereas Ketu rules Magha
3. Jyestha and Moola: Jyestha is in the sign Scorpio(16:40 to 30:00) while Moola is in the sign Sagittarius(00:00 to 13:19).
Some Observations on Moola!
1. All of these Gandanta Moola signs fall at the water-air transition. ( Pisces—->Aries / Cancer—->Leo
/Scorpio—>Sagittarius)–transition, as you know is shaky–change discomfort–that’s why for those people who are born under these Gandanta Moola signs propitiation is done. Without some rituals it’s considered that children born under these constellation might be inauspicious for family and society and might be under the risk of dying in the early childhood themselves.
2. Gandanta Mula rulers are Ashlesha–Mercury, Magha–Ketu, Jyeshta–Mercury, Moola–Ketu, Revati–Mercury and Ashwini–Ketu. You can easily observe that 3 of these are ruled by the Mercury and the other 3 are ruled by the Ketu. Mercury is a benefic planet and Ketu is a malefic– most detached headless planet destructive for worldly affairs but good for spiritual things.
3. I’ve observed that people born in Ketu ruled Gandanta Moola constellations are most inspirational spiritual figures. The reason being–fire elements are inspirational and Ketu is very good for spirituality–so since Ketu ruled Gandanta constellations all fall under the fiery signs–they make for inspirational spiritual figures.
A few spiritual figures born in Ketu ruled Moola Nakshatras:
Mystic poet Kabir–Mula.
Lord Chaitanya Mahaprabhu—Magha.
4. There are 3 Ketu based constellations–Ashwini( Aries–ruled by Mars), Magha(Leo–ruled by Sun), Mula( Sagittarius– ruled by Jupiter). In the Vedic system Jupiter is considered most benefic wisdom giving planet –and among Sun and Mars–Sun is more spiritual. Therefore, Ketu being common to all these three Moola nakshatras–their wisdom ingredient is determined by combined effect of Rashi/Nakshatra rulers–so for spirituality–Mula which has combined impact of Ketu/Jupiter is considered most powerful of all constellations.
5. It has also been observed that persons born in Moola face a lot of difficulties as children but if they survive they grow up to have charismatic personalities. Many saints in India were born in Moola constellations and way too many in all 6 Gandanta Moola constellations.
6. You might also be aware that though all 6 of the constellations mentioned above are called Gandanta Moola–only the one falling in the sign Sagittarius-in the first portion is called Moola(root). It’s so because It’s the core of our galaxy Milky Way. You might be aware that during winter solstice the alignment happens between the core of Milky Way, Sun and Earth when Sun is in the sign Sagittarius( perhaps in the constellation Moola—I’ve not examined that thoroughly.)
Spiritual Figures in Moola!
Here I would consider both ascendant nakshatra and Moon Nakshtra as an influence.
1. Ammachi–the hugging saint of Kerala: Asc-Magha
2. Sri Aurobindo: Moon-Moola/Asc-Ashlesha
3. Dalai Lama–Tenzin Gyatso: Moon-Ashlesha/Asc-Magha
4. George Gurdjieff: Asc-Revati
5. Jaggi Vasudev: Moon-Moola
6. Jiddu Krishnamurti: Moon-Moola
7. Maharishi Mahesh Yogi: Moon-Magha
8. Paramhamsa Yogananda: Moon-Magha/Asc-Magha
9. Pandit Shriram Sharma: Moon-Magha
10. Baba Ramdev: Moon-Ashlesha
11. Mother Anandmayi: Moon-Jyestha
12. Swami Sivananda: Asc-Ashlesha
13. Lord Ramchandra: Asc-Ashlesha
The Dark Nights of Soul!
Sun stays about one month in any sign in its transit. It spends about 3 months in total in all Gandanta Moola signs. A friend asked me to work out Gandanta Moola timings because one of her friends suggested that these periods are of substantial importance for people who are undergoing spiritual awakening. Such periods according to her might be important for what is known as Dark Night of the Soul. These periods might signify purging out of karmic toxins or say opening of knots known as Brahma, Vishnu and Rudra knots in Yogic literature.
I quote this text about spiritual-psychic knots in the subtle body from Yogasara
Brahma Granthi: First knot. It is the lowest knot covering the area of muladhara & svadhisthana chakras. It is also known as perineal knot.
Vishnu Granthi: Second knot. It covers the area between manipura, anahata & vishuddhi chakras. It is also known as the navel knot.
Rudra Granthi: Third knot. It covers the areas of Ajna & Sahasrara chakras. It is also known as forehead knot.
If we want to find out these periods we can do so with the aid of panchangas and softwares which are used for Astrology. I would outline the Gandanta Moola periods for this year–they fall around the same time of year, more or less.
Sun entered into Ashlesha around August 3, 2015 and would be in Magha till September 1, 2015—so this one month’s period was Gandanta Period.
Similarly the next Dark Night should be calculated to be: When Sun enters into Jyestha–Moola: That would be the period of about one month between Dec 3, 2015 to Dec 29, 2015.
Then next Gandanta would be when Sun enters into Revati–Ashvini–which would be the period between March 20, 2016 to April 27, 2016–about one month.
image sources: 1 2