Sanyasa Yoga is an auspicious combination. After innumerable incarnations when ripening occurs, there arises an intense and acute awareness of suffering, which is known as Vairagya (Detachment). Vairagya leads to the Discrimination(Viveka) and an urge to become liberated which ultimately leads to Moksha or Enlightenment. A powerful Sanyasa Yoga is very rare. It must be noted that there’s no complete black & white in renunciation as there’s no black and white in gunas of Maya either. There are no persons having completely Sattvic(Harmonious), Rajasic(Passionate) or Tamasic(Inert) tendencies; you tend to find a mixture of them in various proportions in different beings– similarly there’s no perfect renunciation. If you grasp this clearly it becomes easier to deal with various Sanyasa Yogas you encounter in your studies. If Yogas other than Sanyasa, like Rajayogas(Combinations for prosperity) also occur in tandem with Sanyasa Yoga in a horoscope, the person might first get results of those Yogas and then become a renunciate.
Here, let’s study some of the factors contributing to Sanyasa in a nativity:
1. Powerful Stelliums: According to a dictum in ancient Astrology texts, whenever there is a conglomeration of four or more planets in a single sign in a horoscope, there arises a Sanyasa Yoga. Then, there are many conditions which must be fulfilled for a powerful Sannyasa Yoga to get formed. In my studies I have observed that arising of Stelliums is not a very rare phenomenon, but Stelliums with 5 or more planets are rare and must be considered carefully for Sannyasa.
In the horoscope of Gautama Buddha we see a stellium of 5 planets in the most powerful Kendra, the tenth house in Karma Bhava. This stellium has exalted Sun, Mars in its own house and debilitated Saturn. All these planets aspect the Moon. In horoscope of Albert Einstein you witness a stellium of 4 planets in this very house. In this stellium lagna lord is present but lord of the tenth house is not present. This might be an answer to why this is not a Sannyasa Yoga. Still, you realize that Einstein was almost like a monk, working for a larger than life goal of realizing Theory of Everything. Stelliums suggest concentrated energies. According to ancient Astrology texts, for a strong Sannyasa Yoga to arise it’s important that the lord of the tenth from lagna and or lord of the tenth from the Moon should be in the combination. It’s also important to realize that if the Moon or Sun is in the combination then it becomes more powerful Yoga for renunciation because Psyche(Moon) or Vitality(Sun) are supported by the Yoga. If these Yogas form in a Kendra(in houses 1, 4, 7, 10) or a Kona( Houses 1, 5, 9) then they’re more powerful than otherwise.
In case of Osho you observe this Sannyasa Yoga in the eighth house. There’s lord of lagna as well as lord of the tenth house in the combination which make this Yoga even more powerful. Here it must be noticed that since Moon is involved in this strong Sannyasa Yoga, it’s in the house 1 from Chandra Lagna, which fulfills the need of Yoga to be in a Kendra Partially. Similarly if a Yoga involves Sun it becomes a strong one as in the case of Gautam Buddha–you see Sun with other planets–this Yoga is in Surya lagna as well as in the tenth from the lagna–hence extremely powerful. In case of Adolf Hitler, you see a very powerful stellium in the seventh house of horoscope –but the lord of the tenth house is not involved in this Yoga and hence renunciation doesn’t fructify.
2. Malefic Affecting Houses 2, 4, 7, 12: Malefics and separative planets should affect houses 2, 4, 7 and 12 in a nativity for a strong Sannyasa Yoga to arise. The second house represents wealth and family among other things. The influence of separative planets and malefics on second house and its lord makes a native uninterested in money and detached from kith and kin. The fourth house represents Mind–influence of Saturn, Rahu, Ketu, Mars etc. on the fourth house, its lord and Moon also makes one detached–though in itself it’s not sufficient for renunciation. Similarly the twelfth house is a domain for Moksha among other things and influence of Rahu, Ketu, Saturn, Mars etc. on the twelfth house and its lord makes one inclined towards renunciation.
3. Lagna Lord and Moon Lord: The lagna lord is an important planet. If it’s placed in the eighth house or aspects the eighth house it gives an interest in the occult and esoteric. If Lagna or Moon lord, besides being placed in aforesaid places, is also influenced by the separative planets then it leads to renunciation. For example–a dictum says that the weak lagna lord having an aspect from weak Saturn leads to renunciation. A weak Moon lord having an aspect from the weak Saturn also leads to renunciation. The aspect of the twelfth lord to Lagna and Moon lords should also be considered detaching. Ideally, there shouldn’t be aspects of other planets/benefics to lagna lord or Moon lord in such a combination. In the horoscope of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi you see a debilitated Moon lord(Sun) getting an aspect from a debilitated Saturn and the debilitated Saturn also aspects the weak lagna lord Jupiter.This gives rise to a powerful Sannyasa Yoga in his horoscope.
4. Navamsa and Marriage Lord: The Navamsa should also be carefully studied for strength of the planets in these Yogas as well as for their subtle implications. The Atmakaraka is the planet with the highest degrees in any sign. Atmakaraka in the Pisces navamasa suggests a ripened soul. The seventh house suggests marriage and if the lord of the seventh is influenced by malefics in navamsa as well as the lagna–then marriage is denied. This in itself doesn’t mean renunciation–but might be considered as one of the factors. Venus is the karaka for marriage as well as material pleasures in general. It should be weak in strength in Rashi as well as Navamsa charts in order for a native to be a renunciate in general. Ashtakvarga strength of Venus is usually less in the charts of ascetics. But it must be noted that in certain devotees Venus might strong yet suggesting divine love or the love with the Ishta rather than material love and mundane pleasures. For example Venus is fortified in charts of some of the greatest of devotees like Ramkrishna Paramhamsa, Meerabai, Surdas, Tukaram and Dalai Lama.
5. Other Pravrajya Yogas: Following combinations are directly taken from Jagannath Hora software descriptions–in order to facilitate those who are searching for materials on Astrology. You may download the software from the link given and use it easily for your studies.
(i) Moon and Saturn together in Arudha Lagna. Arudha Lagna is a special Lagna which represents how a native appears to the society. This combination suggests renunciation austere life.
(ii) Moon and Saturn aspecting Arudha Lagna. This combination suggests an inclination to renounce the material comforts.
(iii) Lagna at the end of a sign with a benefic in it and Jupiter in a Kendra/Kona: Suggests an ascetic who attains final emancipation.
(iv) Moon’s dispositor aspected only by Saturn.
(v) Moon in a navmasa of Mars aspected in Rasi only by Saturn.image sources: 1 2 3